Lamar Middle School was established in 1956 as Lamar Junior High. The school was named in honor of the 2nd president of the Republic of Texas and the Father of Education in Texas, Mirabeau Buonaparte Lamar. As a junior high campus, students in 7th, 8th, and 9th grades attended. As a middle school campus since 1975, Lamar now holds classes for 6th, 7th, and 8th grade students. School colors are maroon and gold. The school mascot is the bearcat. The unofficial school motto is “Once a Bearcat Always a Bearcat!” Classes begin each week day at 7:50 AM and classes are dismissed for the day at 3:45 PM.